Saturday 8 October 2011

More Things I Like About England

The daily BBC racing tips, after the morning news. How these have survived the do-gooding urges of the modern world I cannot imagine, but I hope they continue forever.

The letters pages of the newspapers, which I've noted before. At present a correspondence on the subject of potatoes and their non-culinary uses is running in the Times. The first I saw opened with the wonderful line, 'My father never went anywhere without a large potato in his pocket.' Sadly, I didn't have my camera with me, but her is another example, plus some amusing efforts, on other subjects but written in a similarly batty vein:






2 comments:

  1. I'd love to read the Captain Mainwaring and the Decline of Banking Standards treatise in it's entirity. I suppose the next in the series would be Corporal Jones and the Decline of the Village Butcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gadjo - I blame Tesco
    Barbara - I think women (at least ones like you) should be not seen or heard

    ReplyDelete