Monday 1 June 2015

Repetition

I apologise if I've mentioned this before, but I've been going through my notes and found an anecdote that amuses me - and I always think it'sworth passing on things that may, however fleetingly, brighten someone else's day.

I first discovered it when I was reading an introduction Patrick Leigh Fermor wrote for someone else's book. In the course of that piece he mentions that, when leaving Osbert Sitwell's house once, he encountered Edith Sitwell in the hall:

'I remember Edith [Sitwell] saying that it was a pity people had stopped having a china bowl left for visiting cards on the hall table. I asked why and she said, "Oh, I always used to pinch a handful and drop them on their worst enemies. It stirred things up."'

Mayhem - the stuff of a hundred Whitehall farces - must have ensued, I imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment