Wednesday 24 October 2018

Wesselenyi Wandering

The day before yesterday, as I've already explained, I was inspired to go down Wesselenyi Utca, near where I live in Budapest, to look for Goldmark Hall. What I didn't mention was that on the way, I saw this nice man - (I do have a weakness for faces on facades, although I'm uncertain whether this is shared):

 who was gracing a building that also displayed these rather fine mosaics:


I thought it would be a bit flippant in the context of yesterday's blog post to suggest that this museum, next door to Goldmark Hall:

seemingly devoted to the first Hebrew woman to become a parachutist, might have a very limited audience, which is not entirely to detract from the subject's individual achievement, merely to question whether there is enough of a story there and whether, if there is, it is of deep interest to a huge range of people. But I suppose before making a final judgment, I ought to go to see for myself.


2 comments:

  1. Hanna Senesh is a Modern Jewish icon. Her story, a tragedy one of innocence, bravery and self-sacrifice, is known to every Israeli, and considered a source of inspiration. Presumably unknown outside of the Zionist context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope to be back in Budapest in the new year & have the opportunity of discovering her story. In the meantime, I will try to curb my regrettable tendency to flippancy

      Delete