Wednesday 7 February 2024

Words and Phrases, an Occasional Series

My husband tells me that he has discovered the most dominant element of my personality - namely, I don't like change. As he has had the dubious privilege of spending his life with me pretty much continuously since the day of Brezhnev's death - also known as the day we first met - I think he probably has as good a perspective on the topic as anyone. This dislike of change - if I accept it exists (and actually I do) - may explain why I get het up about new bits of language that suddenly appear and begin infesting every journalistic piece I read.

Which brings me to today's gripe - a new (at least to me) coinage that makes me feel queasy each time I see it:

"meet cute".

It's round the wrong way, it makes no sense, it is maddening. Maybe only because it's new? I don't know. I just think it's disgusting.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I've seen "meet cute" used as a substantive. But I don't read movie reviews often, and I don't know where else the expression is likely to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meet cute? What does it mean? My least favourite innovation in language is "long story short."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept reading it in the kinds of profiles that weekend papers are full of: "When I got to the place we'd agreed to meet, X was there before me, a soft-spoken man whose white hair belies his young age and whose piercing eyes speak of a penetrating intelligence. He wore chinos and a pale blue chambray shirt. When I asked him how he came to be collaborating with B on this latest project, he gave a half smile. "It was a kind of meet cute I guess", he replied, with a chuckle.' ZMKC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it will catch on a substantive here once chambray shirts do.

      Delete
  4. I must confess that I have since encountered "meet cute" as a substantive, one spoken, once in print. I don't think chambray shirts were involved in either case.

    ReplyDelete