Sunday 21 March 2010

Delayed Gratification

I have never managed to get as far as lunchtime when I've got a packed lunch. By 10, I'm trying not to think about it, and by 11.30, at the very latest, I've given in to temptation and eaten the whole thing.
I used to be a bit ashamed about my lack of discipline on this front - oh all right, my greed - until I mentioned it to my favourite colleague. He, it turns out, usually polishes off his sandwiches on the bus on the way to work - and on a couple of occasions he's actually scoffed the lot before he's even left the house.
I've felt much better since he told me that. It's one of the reasons he's my favourite colleague.

4 comments:

  1. Success is all about finding the right benchmark - and I think yours is in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To beat this guy you need to push this to its ultimate limit and actually eat the individual ingredients - bread, butter, meat etc - direct from their packaging before they've even become the sandwich. And do this at 8pm the night before you go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or over the previous weekend. In the form of flour, yeast, unpasteurised cow's milk, and cow.

    (But hang on - isn't this moving in the wrong direction. I thought the goal was to be the most restrained and disciplined?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brit - that is absolutely hilarious. I love the idea of all that desperate guzzling; I might just eat a whole loaf of bread in the supermarket aisle, before I've even bought it. I'm not sure about the butter straight from the packaging, but I'll give it a go. You're right Gaw, it is going in the wrong direction, but what the hell - I think I'll get all my lunch eating done the weekend before from now on actually. And I shall go into the fields and pick wheat - none of this bread, none of this flour stuff. What's more, my mother's got cattle, so I'll go to her place and starting tucking into them, on the hoof. She's got a few sheep as well - and she's even just recently got a couple of pigs - so I can have a variety of sandwich fillings too.

    ReplyDelete