Saturday 13 March 2010

Freecycle VI

The pathos:
WANTED - FRONT DOOR;
and the drama (there's a whole novel in this one):
Hi there, I have had a harrowing three months or so since I first joined Freecycle. I have been hospitalised three times in three months, stranded for two days and then later a week in cities other than my own home city and am now in the process of a massive custody battle for my children.
As a result, I may have dealt with you in the past, offering to take things off your hands.
Unfortunately - every offer that I have accepted in the past three months has resulted in a no-show by me - and each and every one of those no-shows has been due to a genuine unavoidable delay and/or change in circumstance.
So I am here to apologise. If I have agreed to take an item from you - and names I cannot remember - and I was a no-show - I whole-heartedly apologise.
I know that among other things I have agreed to take –
a kitten,
a pair of thongs
a coffee table?
I have also offered to a lady in the northern suburbs a stroller (which is still on offer if you still want it?)
And to another man another stroller when I could not offer him the original stroller (again I have tracked down that stroller if you want it?)
I have also offered a rocking chair to a school teacher (and again, it is yours if you want it)
Now that my life has evened out somewhat, I am ready to move on and become a responsible, fully functioning member of the Freecycle community.
My deepest and most sincerest apologies for having stuffed you all around'

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the pair of thongs. Surely one is always enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Australia thongs are what I think you might call flip flops - but they are one of the elements that make me, as a mean untrusting person, think this message was actually some kind of very elaborate scam: a pair of thongs/flip flops only costs a couple of dollars new, so why would you bother with a pair from freecycle? There was something wonderfully random about that list too - kitten, flip flops, coffee table (and were any of them the catalyst for the divorce and custody battle in any way?) - and I liked the idea of the poor tired teacher waiting for his long lost rocking chair as well.

    ReplyDelete