Saturday 25 February 2012

Oh Dear

I have long known that I am not entirely what a film director would look for in an audience. Although I don't take it as far as the man I interviewed in Locks, the hatters many years ago, who asked me, seemingly apropos of nothing, whether I'd seen Death in Venice and, when I replied that I had, went into a moment's reverie before remarking, "Oh, the hats - what hats that film had," I have to admit that I too am prone to distraction from a film's "overarching and compelling story", (to borrow a phrase from one of Australia's former Prime Ministers).

It was thanks to this habit, actually, that I managed to sit through What Lies Beneath without a moment of fearfulness - at the time I was busy planning renovations to our bathroom, and, as a result, my entire attention was diverted from the scary story and applied instead to the "shabby chic" features of the bathroom in which many of the film's scenes took place.

Similarly, last night, when I went to see My Week with Marilyn,, my mind went off wandering, despite the fact that I found the film quite enchanting. Even though I loved every minute of it - especially its insight into the foolishness of men and the way that good looks are a  mixed blessing, a weapon handed to a woman, without any accompanying instruction, and removed from her just as she is beginning to understand the exact nature of her dangerous power - the whole thing was spoilt by the niggling fact that over the door of the pub called The Dog and Duck, where one of the main characters is housed for the film's duration, the sign advertising accommodation is misspelt.

I'm not mad enough to say don't go though - it's a really lovely film and I wouldn't have missed it: Michelle Williams should win a prize for her performance, if she hasn't already, and Kenneth Branagh is superb, as always.

5 comments:

  1. If someone doesn't close a kitchen cupboard or bathroom drawer after opening it, I find myself fretting over the incident for the rest of the film. It's a curse :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a funny idea, I love the thought of you fretting in the dark, while chase scenes come and go, people get shot and knifed and thrown out of windows - but what about that bathroom drawer?

      Delete
  2. I am really distressed when people in movies or on TV make plans to meet each other but don't give any time or date or place particulars, and then they seem to be able to happily meet up anyway. Have you noticed this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How the hell do they do it? Especially when some of us can't even get cinema tickets on the right day. Sorry, sorry, sorry, that was most unfair - after all I booked Lucy a ticket to Paris from London when she was in Manchester. I hate being teased so I don't know why I can't resist doing it. When are you back by the way? And are you having a lovely time? And is there a place to stay in Washington that you would recommend, aside from your own house?

      Delete
  3. The questions is whether making bookings all the time online, especially all the ones I'm doing while travelling, keeps you sharper or uses up a finite supply of brain cells. I'm staying at a great little apartment called Anna's, but I'd stay at the Tabard Inn

    http://www.tabardinn.com/rooms

    if I could stay anywhere...

    Back to NM for 3 weeks after this and home end of March.

    ReplyDelete