Tuesday 27 November 2012

Ozymandias All Over Again

I don't know where it came from but for a long time we've had a mug commemorating Margaret Thatcher,
made by the Conservative Party or some branch of the Conservative Party, back in the eighties, I think.

Anyway, the other day my daughter showed it to me. Emblazoned on the side, there used to be a striking, boldly outlined, vibrant image of the erstwhile UK Prime Minister. Now, this ghostly vestige is all that remains:


"Half sunk, a shattered visage lies" as Mr Shelley might have observed, with a flourish of his gold and coral rattle.

10 comments:

  1. Would it be too snide to rewrite the last line as

    Look on your future wages and despair.

    ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much too snide - , after all, you probably wouldn't have a job or wages at all

      Delete
  2. How about some double-meaning: "Look upon my mug, ye mighty,and despair..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine that a Tony Blair mug would still be wearing its sickly grin in 50 years, no matter how many times it went through the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be like the Cheshire Cat's though - lingering after the rest of the face has gone. I saw him on the telly the other night (Blair, that is, not the Cheshire Cat) and he looked weirder than I've ever seen him. Could he have had 'work'? Could he possibly be on something?

      Delete
  4. it's the pitcher of Dorian Gray! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wish I could be so punny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many political leaders turn out to have feet of clay. At least Ozy's were made of sterner stuff, even if his trunk packed it in.

      Maggie's mug gives her a rather fetching facelift. I think she'd be jolly pleased with it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Denis, the blog swallows comments on older posts and so I only saw this now.

      Delete