Friday 1 July 2011

Thin Air

Now that I've arrived back in Canberra, I'm glad I ran the gauntlet of my fellow passengers' curious stares in order to film the video they kept running on the plane. If I hadn't made a record, I'd have convinced myself that I'd only dreamed it by now.

The main character was this sinister fellow:
I never could work out what he was doing, let alone what those close-ups of his belt were all about. Possibly he was conjuring a child out of thin air with only the power of his extraordinary will. Certainly a child materialised, although once that happened what he did with her defied understanding too:
Whether the subsequent appearance of a blonde, pregnant female was the intended result of all that hand flapping I suppose I shall never know:

The only thing I'm certain of is that I have rarely seen anything so surreal.

6 comments:

  1. That was uniquely bizarre. So that was on loop on one of the channels? Haha. Perhaps it's to let you watch virtual passengers without fear of weirding them out or talking to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually on a screen that everyone could see, interchanged from time to time with a map, showing a tiny aircraft whizzing cross-country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something you're telling us! That can't be all there is to it. C'mon,fess up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was it - I could give you some more extended shots, but all of a piece with these - there was genuinely no explanation or logic to the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's . . . the . . . why the . . . who . . . the belt . . . it's . . . I . . .

    I certainly hope the in-flight food made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The in--flight food made up for it, in the same way that hospital food makes up for being in a hospital bed.

    ReplyDelete