Friday 3 April 2020

Lockdown Bulletin - Cooking Notes 2

My friend in the country has just telephoned. She is very pleased with herself as, having discovered that yeast has run out in her village shop, she remembered a way to make yeast from scratch. She explained it to me, slowly and carefully, so that I could write it down, which I did. Here it is:

3 small potatoes, sliced thinly,
3 teaspoons of sugar
3 soup spoons of polenta
Cover all with water at blood temperature and leave until it bubbles and froths. Strain solid ingredients, add flour and start making your bread.

Unfortunately, when I asked whether she had a method for making flour as well, it turned out that she didn't. I barely have any flour in the house as I don't bake much - purely because, if I do make a cake, I am too weak to resist the urge to scarf the whole thing down in a greedy gulp, which is neither sensible nor healthy.

But for those who are more mature than me in the face of baked goods, I hope the information will be useful.



No comments:

Post a Comment