Saturday 8 May 2010

Future Shock

Coming back from the shops just now, my path was blocked by eight ancient women. They staggered towards me, each one supported - or propelled - by her own glittering zimmer frame, complete with a little set of wheels (possibly those 'little fidget wheels' Kenneth Slessor was talking about [see here]). Although the effort was considerable, they all gave me a cheery greeting and three or four made a brave stab at a smile. I returned their friendliness and then continued my journey, trying to forget the image of lipstick-flecked dentures and rouge daubed wrinkles - and my growing fear about the years to come and what they have in store for me.

8 comments:

  1. It's salutary to think that old-timers such as these are generally putting up with pains and aches on a daily basis and every smile we get from them is made at a price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worm - are cyborgs dangerous (are they something to do with Doctor Who)? in which case, is Gadjo wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps this will provide a scanty crumb of cold comfort?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fantastic - mind you they don't mention who did the choosing (probably a bunch of raddled old chainsmokers who look like death itself.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're in Sydney... I wonder if you were wandering anywhere near the Gimcrack. they sound like my patients

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nurse - Do you run a free-range establishment then, or was there a break out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free range darlin'

    ReplyDelete