Wednesday 27 March 2013

On Trend

Home from Sydney, I go out into the garden and pick kale:
The vegetable garden feels a long way from the glamour of the city, with its clattering cafes filled with tastefully (?) tattooed people wearing bright shiny city clothes.

I come inside and set down my harvest. I am on the point of shrugging on my usual provincial sackcloth when I notice this in the paper:

Is it possible that I'm not so far from the centre of the universe as I thought I was? Maybe all those months ago when I first planted my kale seeds, someone was watching. What if they are still? What next new wave have I already unleashed - unwittingly? Home-cut hair? Undusted furniture? Filthy ovens?

I'm going to have to be very careful from now on. It appears that I am a grade A hipster in disguise.

2 comments:

  1. No fair teasing! Kale is also a what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'brassica'? Oh, I see what you mean - I've got rid of the paper now but I think it was something along the lines of 'vitality booster, packed with vitamins and health-protecting free radicals', or something like that. Just complete guff in other words, like the entire article. People spend their lives churning out this nonsense.

      Delete