Sunday 31 March 2013

The Stuff of Nightmares

When I saw the headline 'Coalition plans pensioner slug', I wondered if this was the kind of thing they had in mind:


It seemed preoccupied with devouring our lemon tree when I saw it, but I'm sure it could be persuaded to nibble at pensioners in its spare time, if asked nicely.

I am regularly amazed by the truly fantastic nature of so many creatures lurking in the most ordinary of suburban gardens. Even a fly, when you look at it closely, is a strange, strange thing.

6 comments:

  1. My mother loved creepy crawlies. When my sister and I were children, still abed one morning, my mother brought us one of those creatures to admire. We were not filled with her zeal so moved on to something else. Later in the day, after our white sheets had been washed in the copper we found they had all turned pale green. No amount of washing ever removed that creature's dye.

    Could it have been an omen that pensioners should vote Green?
    @qyntara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing. As to omens, I think one tends to read them according to how one wants them to read, don't you?

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous creature...wonder what sort of butterfly it will become?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to say it won't become one at all, as I killed it. My defence is that I wanted to protect my lemon tree.

      Delete
  3. "Even a fly, when you look at it closely, is a strange, strange thing."

    Not to another fly, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arguable. I mean there are other humans I've looked at and thought 'Hmmm' (thought I'd introduce that word again, for Zen purposes)

      Delete