Tuesday 1 September 2020

Let's Talk About Happy Things

Having moaned myself out for this week, ((or at least for the next day or two), I've reverted to cheerfulness. Something that has made me cheerful is the long walk we did yesterday. We saw many lovely buildings, but for today I will limit myself to the first one we came across.

It stands on Thököly ut in Budapest's XIVth district. Built in 1905, it is a classic example of the style called Hungarian Secession:



While it was a pity that just as I saw it, the lady in charge of such things decided to wheel out the rubbish bins and place them dead centre in front of what had been an uncluttered view, her presence did mean the front door was open and we could go inside. Here is what we found:













Isn't it splendid? Doesn't it make your day? The architect was Istvan Nagy and he built it for the chief inspector of an insurance company. Would you like to see some details of the outside, including the adorable cellar doors with heart shaped perforations? Well, here you are:










 



4 comments:

  1. This is truly tonic. I feel better already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will soon wish you hadn't said that, as this blog becomes the 21st century equivalent of a lengthz slide night called A Stroll Through the Istvánmező

      Delete
  2. Literally made my day

    Ok, probably not literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I love flattery, I am beginning to wonder if we are in wind-up territory now :)

      Delete