Friday 28 May 2021

The Big Question



 I remember decades ago seeing a cartoon of a couple arriving at or leaving a party. The man in the picture is small, unimposing & wearing spectacles & a dinner jacket, the woman is a Bianca Castefiore type. She is shown talking to her hostess while getting into or out of a sumptuous mink coat. “Oh yes,” she is saying, “I deal with the all the small questions - what car we buy, should I get a new fur coat - but I leave all the big questions to him - should China join the United Nations, that kind of thing.”

For me, the biggestof big questions is what luxury you would choose if you were invited onto Desert Island Discs & arrived at the point where they asked you that question. The other day a guest on the programme was absolutely inspired & asked for a whole Vienna café (I bags Braunerhof). I seem to remember some years ago that Nicholas Parsons of Just a Minute fame very practically requested a supply of drinkable water, which was dull but wise. However, while reading Saving Agnes by Rachel Cusk, I have just come across the only truly intelligent solution to the problem, provided by a character called Greta:

Mind you, I'd make sure the plane came equipped with a pilot as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment