Monday 21 August 2023

Words and Phrases - an Occasional Series

Recently I've noticed the phrase "whisper it" creeping into articles and features. Here is an example:


I've been wondering why it makes me squirm. I think it is because it encourages the reader to believe they are in cozy collusion with the writer. It has a giggly, girlie feel that I don't want to be part of - and I don't trust. There is also the falsity of suggesting we all keep something a secret that is actually being highlighted in a widely-read publication.

Then there is "spree" used in the context of murder. Spree is usually associated with shopping and it makes me very uncomfortable to see it used in association with wicked activities. I am not saying shopping is virtuous but it is frivolous. Killing people is not:



3 comments:

  1. P.G. Wodehouse could say "Tell it not in Gath" and expect the reference to be picked up--though he might have hesitated to use the expression to sell slacks. And I wonder how many who read the ad understand the expression "cargo cult."

    I noticed the other day the expression "killing spree" in a book published at least twenty years ago, and referring to incidents in the 1950s. It isn't pretty, but it names a phenomenon that is unfortunately too common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killing rampage would be a better fit I think. ZMKC

    ReplyDelete