Sunday 21 February 2021

Diplomacy in 2021

I have been puzzled since this morning, when I read a short piece accompanying a photograph of one of the queen's grand daughters, who has just had a baby. She was pictured with a hairband that seemed to have no purpose, as it was perched on her head but was not holding back her hair. Beside her was a man holding a tiny baby dressed in blue (both were - the baby and the man). The caption identified the man as the husband of the pictured grand daughter of thr queen. The caption went on to supply the information that the man is by profession a Tequila ambassador.

I spent more time than I wished as the wife of a diplomat (I'm still his wife, but he's stopped the diplomatting, praise be to the lord). During all that time, I never met an ambassador whose job sounded half as much fun as Tequila ambassador. Although, I must say, I would prefer to stride about the world on behalf of a bottle of gin or a crate of champagne, if I had the choice of which alcoholic beverages to base an ambassadorial career upon. 

I wonder what the pay is like and whether it comes in bottles or hard cash.

4 comments:

  1. Well, he may be a Tequila ambassador, but apparently he's not THE Tequila ambassador – that's this guy...
    https://www.diffordsguide.com/books/40/the-tequila-ambassador
    The world gets madder every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They recommend people should keep their copies as they will become rarities, but the question is: will they become sought after? My dog's chewed basket is a rarity, but ....

      Delete
  2. Diplomatic drinking makes us all sound a bit like Inspector Clouseau referring to the British monarch as "the quen".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being diplomatic & drinking was the essential of that world that I never quite mastered.

      Delete