Thursday 11 February 2021

Lockdown Getaways

Someone told me about Random Street View yesterday. It is touted as helpful in stopping you feeling sad that you aren't permitted to travel. You go on it and it gives you a random picture from somewhere in the world, and then another random picture from somewhere else in the world, and on and on it goes, the whirligig of time spins on and the next thing you know you are a hundred and ninety five years old. 

Well it's all very well, except that it doesn't really do the trick for me - but that is because it is not the lack of travel that makes me sad (or, more accurately, cross) but the lack of permission. 

One thing the site did do though is slightly disturb me. I had never visited it before yesterday but, when I clicked on it, the first thing it gave me was a picture of Vienna, where I was before I was born, (if that makes sense), the second thing it gave me was a scene I recognised in Chelsea, (London), where I was born. Then came a shot of Kuala Lumpur, where I grew up, and then one of Mittagong where I went to school. Was someone letting me know something? Or was it just coincidence" Certainly, after that, not one single shot was of anywhere I've ever been to -  Finland, followed by Estonia and Botswana, and a stream of other places that, if you wanted to look at it from a paranoid perspective, were as eerily unconnected with any experience I've ever had as the first handful were eerily on the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment